UFO Lawsuit In Reno Gazette-Journal (09/15/1985)
3 sue government for UFO Injuries
In a newspaper article published by the Reno Gazette-Journal September 15, 1985, the newspaper covers a lawsuit against the U.S. federal government over injuries caused by a UFO.
The article reads:
Houston, Texas – The three people suing the federal government for $20 million say they do not know to this day what it was that hovered far over their heads and zapped them with radiation almost five years ago.
They claim it was an unidentified flying object that was escorted away by military helicopters and suspect it was a secret U.S. military experiment. In any event, they say, the government should have warned the residents that a UFO was in their area.
But the military says it had nothing to do with the alleged incident Dec. 29, 1980, on a dark deserted farm road northeast of Houston. And even if they were UFOs, a U.S. attorney now says, the government has no legal duty to warn people about them because the government does not know whether they are dangerous.
With such straightforward arguments the federal government is urging U.S. District Judge Ross Sterling to throw out a lawsuit filed last year by former Dayton, Texas, cafe owner Betty Cash, 56, former waitress Vickie Landrum, 61, and Landrum’s grandson, Colby Landrum, 11.
Despite investigations by various parties, the opposing sides are at a stalemate as Sterling’s ruling draws near, Federal officials however, stand fast on the contention that the military would have no obligation to intervene. And even if the government had chased the UFO off with helicopters as suggested, that would amount to a “discretionary function,” and thus the government could not be sued.
To read more, view the article below.
Have questions, comments, tips, or more information?
Other Recent Additions to the Archive